The timing and quantity of protein and carbohydrate in your diet is crucial to your training and success.
- You need a minimum of 1.5g of protein per kilogram body weight. With harder training, this can be increased to 2g.
- You need protein and carbohydrate snack/drink after a workout session, ideally providing 1g of carbohydrate per kilogram body weight and 0.5g of protein. This should be consumed within 30 minutes of finishing training, followed by a high carbohydrate meal within two hours.
- Have a light pre-exercise snack: 50g of carbohydrate and 5-10g of protein taken before a training session can increase carbohydrate availability towards the end of the session and also increase the availability of amino acids to muscles. Make sure your snacks are low in fat as too much fat slows down absorption.
- Choose quick digesting proteins such as soy and whey before and after training, these protein provide the types of amino acids that are particularly useful for building muscles.
- At other meals have a mix of proteins for a more sustained release of amino acids into the body.